Of course we all know that famous brand and I've been addicted to it most of my life. I couldn't find a GMO, palm oil, dairy free version so I had no choice but to come up with a recipe. I had an idea..
It has 4 simple ingredients, less sugar than the main brands and is quick to make. It tastes like a darker version of the main stream brands, but with the same irresistible flavour. The bought hazelnut butter is what I used for convenience and it still tastes great. For a homemade version you can make your own*. If you want the exact flavour of the regular brands, but a healthier version and you eat dairy, then you can use organic milk chocolate instead of the dairy free chocolate.
250g Smooth hazelnut butter
200g Semi-sweet dairy free chocolate (Chocolate with at least 60% cocoa solids)
2 Tsp. Pure vanilla extract
1 Tbsp. Unrefined coconut oil
Choose organic where possible.
1. In a double boiler, gently melt the chocolate and coconut oil and stir in the vanilla.
2. Once the mixture is melted and smooth, stir in the hazelnut butter.
3. Pour into a clean glass jar and allow to cool.
4. Keeps well stored in the fridge for a few months.
* To make hazelnut butter, roast the hazelnuts in the oven at 180°C (360°F) for 15 minutes turning them over every 5 minutes. Tip out onto paper towel as soon as they are out of the oven. Let them sit for 5 minutes and then rub off the peel using the paper towel. Process the prepared hazelnuts into a smooth nut butter.